2. Vitamin C is Needed for Healthy Hair: Vitamin C is also a component of healthy hair. Citrus fruits, such as oranges and lemons, are especially high in vitamin C, as are green peppers. Suggested dosage is 1,000 to 3,000 mg a day.
3. B Vitamins Increase Hair Growth: Biotin and the complex B vitamins are needed to grow hair. B3 helps increase circulation to the scalp, thereby encouraging hair growth. It is best to take a supplement that includes all of the B vitamins, called a B complex supplement, as the nutrients work synergistically.
Suggestions: legumes, eggs, mushrooms, yeast, nuts and salmon.
4. Iron Reduces Hair Loss: The mineral iron helps increase circulation in the scalp as well, which then fuels hair growth. Foods that are high in iron include apricots and raisins.
5. Drink Water to Grow Hair: The hair shaft is comprised of one quarter water. Drink at least 10 cups of water a day to stay hydrated and grow healthy hair.
6. Reduce Alcoholic Beverages to Reduce Hair Loss: Drinking alcohol reduces hair growth. Reduce or eliminate alcohol from the diet and you will see an increase in hair growth.
7. Vitamin E Grows Hair: Vitamin E is another nutrient needed to grow hair. It stimulates the circulation in the scalp and can be taken internally or applied to the scalp.
8. Vitamin A Feeds Healthy Hair: Vitamin A helps create vibrant shiny hair because it works with the fat synthesis in the hair follicles and spurs hair growth. Foods that contain vitamin A include eggs, kale, squash, and carrots.