How To Save a Wet Mobile Phone1. Firstly, retrieve your handset from the drink straight away. A prolonged plunge will increase the risk of damage.
2. Resist the urge to check if it still works or press any buttons, since putting pressure on the keys could shift liquid further into the device.
3. In all cases, the best thing to do is immediately pull out the battery, thus minimising power to the device that may cause it to short circuit.
Phone buried in rice
4. If you own a handset with a non-replaceable battery, like an iPhone or Nokia Lumia, then pulling the battery isn't an option. You'll have to risk pressing a few buttons to check if it's still on and to swiftly turn it off if it is. Take care when handling the phone in this case.
5. Remove any peripherals and attachments on your phone, such as cases.
6. Extract the SIM card and any SD cards it carries, leaving ports or covers on your handset open to aid ventilation.
7. Dry off everything with a towel, including the exterior of your handset, being careful not to let any water drain into openings on the phone.
8. Even when everything's dry, it's very likely there's latent moisture within the device that you'll want to get out before turning it on. The most oft-reported fix for a sodden phone is to bury the handset in a bowl of dry rice. Desiccant materials, such as rice, have hygroscopic properties that can attract and absorb moisture. You can also use silica gel packs -- the kind used in shoeboxes -- to greater effect. If you don't have any lying around, uncooked rice will do nicely.
Place your phone in an airtight container and completely cover it with your choice of desiccant. Leave the container for 24-48 hours for the material to draw all the moisture out of your handset. If you feel like splashing out, you can buy silica-lined, hermetically-sealed pouches that are specifically designed for the task.
9. When you're confident it's dried out, replace the battery and try switching it on. Good luck!