A new iPad model came out a few weeks before the April-June quarter began. Apple's 69.6 percent share in the April-June quarter is up from about 58 percent in the first quarter. It's the highest since the first quarter of last year, when Apple had 70 percent in a market with fewer competitors then.
Here are the top five manufacturers of tablets in the second quarter, as released by IHS iSuppli:
- Apple Inc, maker of the iPad, 17 million shipped worldwide, 69.6 percent share
- Samsung Electronics Co, maker of Galaxy line, 2.3 million, 9.2 percent.
- Amazon.com Inc, maker of Kindle Fire, 1 million, 4.2 percent
- AsusTek Computer Inc, maker of Transformer line, 688,000, 2.8 percent
- Barnes & Noble Inc, maker of Nook Tablet, 459,000, 1.9 percent
- Other, 3 million, 12.3 percent