BMI is "Body Mass Index". It tells you whether your body weight is appropriate for your height.
In Indians it is advisable that the BMI be not more than 22.9*
BMI is a gross estimate for the amount of fat in your body. It tells you whether you need to lose weight or not. Not all adults who have a BMI in the range labeled "healthy"are at their most healthy weight. They may have lots of fat but very little muscle. Similarly, if you are an athlete or exercise a lot, then you may have lots of muscle and less fat and if your BMI is more than the normal range, then it may still be healthy.
How do I decrease my BMI?
Initiate small and easy changes in your daily life:
- Increase physical activity in your daily life!
- Eat more fresh fruits and vegetables every day!
- Decrease the fat intake in your daily food!
- Consume 50-100 less calories, than what you are presently consuming, everyday.
Small changes in your daily life can bring big benefits !
How do I increase physical activity in my daily life!
- Walk briskly to work, to the school, to the market, up the stairs
- Cycling is an excellent form of exercise-cycle for fun, to the office, to the market, to the workplace, to college.
- Washing, sweeping, swabbing, grinding, gardening are very good forms of exercise.
- Dancing is also a wonderful form of exercise. It is also an effective stress reliever.
Exercise for at least 30 minutes everyday. This could be spread out over the day. It could be in the form of climbing stairs, walking briskly, washing your car or scooter or cattle or house. It could be dancing, sweeping swabbing, washing clothes; gardening etc. The more you exercise the better it is. Children need to exercise more. Eat a nutritious diet- plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and a dash of nuts and fish in case you eat fish. Restrict/moderate fried foods and biscuits and breads and foods with sugar.